Users of HP laptops don’t experience any issues with their working most of the time. The laptops of this brand can easily handle heavy use and still operate reasonably well. However, sometimes, a technical hiccup can arise. You may press the power button and expect your laptop to turn on to find it not obeying your commands.
At first, for instance, when your HP laptop won’t turn on, you may feel that it has met an unexpected death. But that’s far from what is true. Your computer does not respond due to numerous reasons, such as hardware failure or poor power supply to the printer. But all these reasons are fixable. Read on to learn about them in detail.
Also Read:- WPS Pin HP Printer
Why Won’t My HP Laptop Turn on?
Undoubtedly, it can be annoying to find a device like a laptop not turning on when it is needed. Here are the significant causes that might be behind it.
- Incorrectly functioning CMOS battery.
- The battery of your printer is dead.
- You haven’t updated your HP laptop.
- Poor power supply to your laptop can also cause this problem.
- One of the laptop parts is not working correctly.
- A new hardware installation is causing power problems.
- Hibernation files are corrupt.
What Can I Do If My HP Laptop Won’t Turn On
There are a number of approaches to make your HP laptop screen turn on. These are the most trusted fixes for this issue.
1. Examine the battery
It is one of the first steps you must take when your laptop exhibits an issue. You must check the battery as well as the CMOS battery that keeps the BIOS configuration in the motherboard.
- Shut the laptop and take away the battery from it.
- Find a well-functioning outlet.
- After finding it, plug your laptop into it through the power cable.
- Turn on your laptop. If it turns on properly, the battery is damaged, and you must replace it with a new one.
- It is also a good option to employ a new CMOS battery.
- When you use the new battery, ensure that the cables are linked correctly.
2. Update the laptop and its BIOS
If you haven’t installed new updates, it can also cause you to complain that the HP laptop screen won’t turn on. Check for the pending updates and download them immediately. Next, you must also get the BIOS updated. Follow these points to commence the updates for BIOS.
- With the adaptor, turn on your laptop.
- Now, hit the Windows and B keys.
- Hit the ‘Power’ key for around 1 second.
- Release the Windows and V keys.
- You will see the power light blinking.
- After around 40 seconds, the HP BIOS update screen will show up.
- This will start the updates for BIOS.
3. Inspect the power supply.
Issues with the power supply can also prevent your printer from getting switched on. To examine the power supply, go through these steps.
- Begin by taking away the battery of your HP laptop.
- After that, plug the device into an electrical wall outlet.
- The outlet should be working correctly. Check it by first plugging from another device in it.
- If that device is charging, rule out any problem with the outlet.
- Check whether you can switch on your laptop without the battery. If you can, the problem lies with the laptop’s battery.
4. Perform a hard reset.
Carrying out a hard reset of your laptop has worked for many users who complained that ‘my HP laptop won’t turn on.’ Here are the pointers to hard reset your HP device.
- Turn off your laptop.
- If you find any external device linked to it, unplug it.
- Take away the laptop’s power charger and the battery.
- Hold and press the power button for half a minute.
- Now, link the power supply.
- To switch on the laptop, hit the power button and put the battery back in its place.
5. Diagnose the screen problems in HP laptop
Do you find that your HP laptop screen won’t turn on? If it always shows black, you must employ the following ways.
- Increase the brightness of the HP laptop screen.
- Disable hibernation because sometimes its files get corrupted unexpectedly.
- Link your laptop to an external display through a VGA cable.
- You can also link it to an HDMI cable and restart the computer.
6. Boot the laptop in Safe mode
This is yet another simple fix to troubleshoot HP laptops’ working. Use these pointers to boot it in Safe mode.
- Take away the peripherals and hit the ‘Power’ button.
- Hit the ‘F8’ key multiple times before you see the HP or Windows logo.
- Choose ‘Safe mode with networking.’
- You will see many on-screen instructions. Use them to continue.
7. Conduct a component test
An issue with a specific component of the laptop can result in many problems. So, it is ideal that you do a component test if your HP laptop won’t turn on.
- Power off your device.
- Start it and then tap ‘Esc.’
- Press this key till the menu comes up.
- Now, click ‘F2.’
- Choose ‘Component tests.’
- Go to the submenu.
- Here you can find out about each device component.
- Test the components so that there are no issues with them.
- If issues are discovered, contact the HP support team.
8. Do a clean installation of Windows.
A great solution to a non-responding HP laptop is performing a fresh installation of Windows. It is particularly beneficial for those who cannot go past the black screen. Employ a bootable USB to install Windows again on your HP laptop after it turns on.
Now when you notice your HP laptop won’t turn on, you know how to go about fixing it. Issues in hardware, components, battery, and power supply all contribute to this problem. You can use the fixes one by one and see which factor is preventing your laptop from working. Contact an expert HP printer technical support team if you require additional troubleshooting guidance.