Users of Windows 10 and 11 often face some problems when trying to use their HP printers. They are unable to print effectively because of the HP printer in error state message. This prompt basically implies that the printing process is obstructed due to a system issue. Factors such as corrupt printer drivers and losing the connection between your printer and computer are other possible reasons that may trigger this error message.
At the same time, you also cannot ignore the probability of your HP printer having low ink levels and encountering a paper jam problem. If you cannot perform printing due to this error prompt, this article will help you. Let’s find the best workarounds for tackling this glitch.
Troubleshoot HP Printer in Error State Problem
When you find the printer in an error state HP, you can think of resolving the problem by looking at the cable connection, checking network connectivity, and the printer drivers. Follow these instructions to resolve the source of the problem and start operating your printer with ease.
Read More:- HP Printer Troubleshooting
Examine the physical connections to your system closely
This is hands down the quickest resolution to use when your printer goes into an error state. Inspecting the physical connections implies looking for a firm connection between your system and the HP Printer. You must also power up your printing device while doing so. Further, look carefully at the printer cable. If it exhibits dent or marks, the communication between your computer and printer will not take place.
If there are no symptoms of damage on your printer cable, restart your computer and printing device. When you restart, do not switch on both these devices immediately. Wait for some minutes and then turn them on.
Modify the port settings
Changing the port settings in your system will also help tackle the HP printer in error state Windows 10 problem. To make changes open the ‘Run‘ box.
- In this box, enter ‘devmgmt.msc’ and click the ‘OK‘ button.
- Now, hit the ‘View‘ button.
- From the dropdown options, opt for ‘Show Hidden Devices.’
- Locate and right-tap on the option, ‘Ports (COM & LPT).’
- Now choose ‘Properties.’
- In the window of this option, launch the ‘Port Settings’ tab.
- Pick the ‘Use any interrupt assigned to the port’ option.
- You must now place a tick mark beside ‘Enable Legacy Plug and Play Detection.’
- Hit ‘OK,’ and after that, reboot your system.
Change the status of your print spooler service.
Another common reason why you find your printer is in an error state HP is that the spooler service status of your printer is not set to automatic. Setting the spooler service to an automatic mode will help your printer to perform the assigned printing jobs.
- Open the Run application.
- In the Run box, write ‘service.msc‘ in the field of search and hit ‘OK.’
- Right-tap the ‘Print Spooler’ option in the next window and choose ‘Properties.’
- Set the ‘Start type’ to ‘Automatic.’ The service status should be in ‘Running‘ mode.
- Tap ‘Start‘ followed by ‘Apply‘ to save the modifications.
- Now, start your computer again and give the print command.
Reinstall printer drivers.
If the fixes outlined above do not help you, it’s best to uninstall the HP printer drivers from the root level. After that, you can install them again. These pointers will aid you with it.
- Open’ Programs and Features‘ on your Windows operating system.
- Choose your HP printer and select ‘Uninstall.’
- Now, launch ‘Devices and Printers’ window on your computer.
- In its window, locate your HP printer.
- When you see it, right-tap on it and select ‘Remove Device‘ or ‘Delete.’
- Open the ‘Run‘ dialog box. In it, type’ printui.exe /s‘ and tap ‘OK.’
- Next, tap the ‘Drivers’ tab.
- Find the HP printer driver. Tap it and click ‘Remove.’
- Choose ‘OK.’
- Tap ‘Apply‘ followed by ‘OK‘ on the window of Print Server Properties.
- Exit’ Devices and Printers’ window.
- Now, install the drivers again by going to www.123.hp.com.
Have a look at the ink level of your printer
As already explained before, low ink is one of the prominent causes of HP printer in error state messages. You must always be aware of the levels of ink in your printer. If they are depleting, don’t wait to replace the cartridge. Many HP printer models such as Officejet, Deskjet, Envy Series, and Laserjet need you to replace ink levels. Otherwise, you’ll be unable to use them appropriately. If you need more assistance in changing ink cartridges or don’t have time to do it yourself, consult an HP printer support expert.
Find if there are adequate pages in the input tray.
Many HP printer users forget to load their printer’s input tray with adequate pages. The lack of pages is often the reason why you see the error state message. Ensure that the input tray always has at least 25 sheets. Any less than that, and you’ll face problems in printing. After loading the tray, restart your printer. Upon doing so, let the printer remain idle for some time before giving it the print command.
Update your Windows OS
You might not need to carry out complex troubleshooting processes if you’ve kept your Windows operating system updated. Users generally notice that their HP printer is in an error state when it’s been a long time since they have updated their operating system.
- Navigate over to the ‘Start‘ button and open ‘Settings.’
- In its window, find and tap ‘Update & Security’ box.
- Next, tap the ‘Windows Update’ option.
- After that, look for the ‘Check for Updates’ option and click it.
- Windows will now start searching for any pending updates.
- If it finds some, they will be installed on your computer. You only need to restart your system after it gets updated. The reboot will allow for the updates to get implemented. Most probably, you won’t find your printer in an error state now.
By now, you must feel fully empowered to tackle the HP printer in error state prompt on your computer. Implementing just a few of these fixes will help you eliminate this problem and carry out your printing tasks efficiently. But if the error prompt does not disappear, contact expert HP printer support experts.